The best way for your student to keep up with their education is with an Independent Study Contract. Work will be assigned to go along with their classroom experience. Please call the office for more information.
- Personal illness (MD note required after 3 consecutive days ill, or more than 10 illnesses during the school year).
- Quarantine under the direction of a health officer.
- Personal medical or dental appointment (MD note required)
- Funeral services of any immediate family member.
- Religious Observations.
Truancies & Unexcused Absences:
- Going on Vacation.
- Visiting family.
- Going to medical appointments for siblings or any one else.
- Going to work with a parent or other family member.
- Personal problems.
- Waiting for service or repair people to arrive.
- Missing more than 30 minutes on three days without a valid excuse.
- Ten (10) ore more days of excused absences within a school year are considered excessive and shall require a doctor's note.
- Three (3) or more consecutive days of illness shall require a doctor's note upon return to school.
- Three (3) or more days of unexcused absences or truancies will result in Sycamore Academy mailing or emailing the parent the 1st Truancy Letter asking for the parent's help and a warning of consequences for further truancy.
- After six (6) days of unexcused absences or truancies and/or tardies, the school will mail or email the 2nd Truancy Letter and invite the family to a School Attendance Review Team (SART) meeting. The intent is to create and implement a written plan for improving attendance.
- After nine (9) days of unexcused absences or truancies and/or tardies, the school will mail or email the Habitual Truancy Notice to appear at a School Attendance Review Board (SARB) meeting. This notice requires the student and the parent to appear, failure to appear may result in a citation to be issued to the parent.
- After fifteen (15) or more days of unexcused absences or truancies, the family will be referred to the District Attorney.
- Students who miss 5% or more of school for any reason, may be subject to retention.
For further information, please refer to the Attendance Policy Letter you received in your enrollment packet, or call the office.